The festival of colours just concluded and an entire country’s attention will now shift towards the biggest cricketing festival which begins from 9th April. IPL 2021 is the 14th season of the world’s premier T20 competition. Following the IPL in UAE, there were plenty of rumours surrounding the addition of two new teams into the league. However, the BCCI decided to postpone that until next year because of time constraints. Franchisee bidding will be conducted and a mega-auction will be held ahead of IPL 2022 to expand the eight-team competition into a ten-team affair. So the usual and familiar suspects will feature in IPL 2021 and without further ado, let’s take a look at some of the IPL Facts:
1. The mastermind behind IPL, Lalit Modi, initially pitched a 50 over ODI format tournament back in 1995 to the BCCI, but was rejected. It was only when ICL was launched by Zee in 2007, BCCI decided to start its own T20 league.
2. In the entire history of IPL, only 2 Indian players have ever received the MVP awards in 13 seasons. Sachin Tendulkar received it in 2010 then followed by Virat Kohli in 2016.
3. Harbhajan Singh has bowled the most number of dot balls (1249) delivered by any player in the history of this tournament. Bhuvneshwar kumar comes second with 1,164 dot balls.
4. Most Ducks in IPL: Harbhajan Singh and Parthiv Patel, both, have been sent back 13 times without scoring a single run.
5. Praveen Kumar is the bowler who has bowled the most number of maiden overs in the history of IPL. He has bowled 14 maiden overs.
6.Amit Mishra holds the record for the highest number of hat-tricks (3) in the history of IPL.
7.Dale Steyn holds the record for the most number of dot balls in one IPL Season. In 17 matches, he bowled 212 dot balls out of a total of 407 balls in IPL 2013.
8.Brad Hogg is the oldest player in the history of IPL. He was 45 when played for KKR in the 2016 season.
9. Ashish Nehra (for DD) and Fidel Edwards (for DC) are the two bowlers who bowl the most economical over in the history of IPL. They both shared the same bowling figures. They both conceded 6 runs in his 4 overs with 1 maiden over each and 1 wicket each.
10. Zaheer Khan is the only player who is a part of the very 1st game and 500th game of the IPL. He played his 1st game for Royal Challengers Bangalore and the 500th game for Delhi Daredevils. Both ended up being the losing side in the respective games.
11. Punjab Kings is the only team that has changed its captain 11 times till 11 seasons of IPL.
12. Piyush Chawla is the only bowler who has not bowled a no-ball till 386th over in IPL history. Piyush bowled his first no-ball against Delhi Daredevils in IPL 2016. This means that he has not bowled a no-ball for 8 years.
13. There have been 5 double-century partnerships in the history of IPL. However, it is just Virat Kohli who has been a part of 3 of them.
14. Prayas Roy Barman from India became the youngest debutant at the age of 16 years and 157 days when he played for Sun Risers Hyderabad against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
15. CSK is the only team which never changed captain in all seasons.
By Paramdeep Rathee