Sportsnasha Sunday Special
Some unknown facts and stats in cricket:
1. Sachin Tendulkar has played most number of ODI’s(463), But it’s Rahul Dravid who played most number of ODI’s in a calendar year. India played 43 ODIS in 1999 and Dravid was a part of each match and scored 1761 runs in that year. He was the top run scorer of 1999 World Cup with 461 runs.
2. Where it is difficult for a bowler to claim six wickets in an innings even once, Waqar Younis of Pakistan has done it 5 times in his career. On one occasion, he also took seven wickets(7/36) in the innings.
3. Chris Gayle has scored most number of runs in the history of champions trophy. He has scored 791 runs in the Champions trophy at an average of 52.73. Mahela Jayawardene of Sri Lanka is on the second spot with 742 runs. Shikhar Dhawan of India with 701 runs comes third.
4. Ranjan Madugalle holds the record of being the match referee in most number of test matches. Ranjan has been match referee in 193 test matches and is followed by Chris Broad 102 matches and Jeff Crowe with 99 matches respectively.
5. Umar Akmal of Pakistan once got dismissed 3 times in 24 hours. In the last match of Pakistan vs England T20 series in 2015, Akmal scored 4 from 9 balls. The match went to a Super Over as both the teams had scored 154 runs from 20 overs. A super over was played and Akmal was sent again to bat and was dismissed cheaply. After this match, Akmal took a flight to Bangladesh to play for his Bangladesh Premiere League team Chittagong Vikings. There also Akmal failed badly as he scored 1 run off 8 deliveries.
6. Australian legend Glenn McGrath holds the record of dismissing the batsmen for duck most number of times. Out of his 563 test wickets 104 times batsmen were out on a duck.
7. Younis khan of Pakistan has been dismissed in a Hat-trick in all formats of the game. He was dismissed by Irfan Pathan (2006) in test, Thisara Perera in ODI (2012) and Tim Southee in T20(2010).
8. With Kemar Roach reached 200 wickets club in ongoing test between West Indies and England, Pakistan and Bangladesh are the only two teams who have played Tests in last 20 years without any fast bowler reaching 200 wickets.
9. West Indies have never lost a Test match in history chasing a total of 200 or below. In 61 matches, they have won 55 and draw 6.The other teams with a similar record are Bangladesh (2 chases) and Afghanistan (1 chase). Pressure? What pressure!
10. Kraigg Brathwaite is currently playing his 62th Test and has never played in T20s. Since T20s came in 2003, he is the only man who has played 50 plus Tests without any sort of 20 overs cricket (not even at domestic level).