Stats and Trivia about Greenidge:
1. He is the first player in the history to hit a century in his 100th ODI match. He scored 102* against Pakistan in Sharjah in 1988.
2. He is also the only player to have hit a century in his 100th test and 100th ODI. He scored 149 in his 100th Test, against England in Antigua in April 1990.
3. He was named as the Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1977.
4. Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes formed one of the most iconic opening partnerships ever in the history of cricket. They scored 6482 runs in 148 innings at an average of 47.31, with 16 century stands. This is the third highest overall partnership runs by a pair in test cricket.
5. He is the member of two time World Cup winning West Indies team (1975, 1979).
6. He and Sir Viv Richards made their test debut together against India. Sir Viv only managed just 4 and 3 but, Greenidge slammed 93 in the first innings and scored 103 in the second.
7. Greenidge was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame in 2009.
Gordon Greendige received honorary citizenship of Bangladesh for his great contribution as a coach of Bangladesh National Cricket Team. He led Bangladesh to the ICC Trophy title in Malaysia in 1997, and also steered them to their first World Cup entrance.
Gordon Greenidge was one the most destructive and fearless opening batsman cricket has ever produced. He set the tone with the bat at the top of the order in a similar way his fast bowling colleagues Joel Garner, Michael Holding, Colin Croft and Sir Andy Roberts did with the ball.
Happy birthday ”Gordon” have a great one.
Article by Paramdeep Rathee