On this day in 1977 happy birthday to the former Indian Captain Anjum Chopra. The left-handed batswoman is one of the finest women cricketer to have worn the Indian Jersey. At times she is compared with David Gowar due to her Wrist work and ‘lazy elegance.’ She debuted in the year 1995 against new Zealand at the age of 17. Anjum has scored 548 test Runs at an average of 30.44 with four half-centuries in 12 matches. In 127 ODI, she has 2856 runs at 31.38 with one century and 18 fifties. She retired in 2012
* Let us look at some of the unknown facts about Anjum Chopra:
1. Not just cricket, Anjum representing her school and college in athletics, basketball, and swimming. She was also a member of the Delhi State basketball team that competed at nationals.
2. She is the first player to play 100 ODIs for India
3. She is the first Indian woman cricketer to score an ODI century.
4. She is the first Indian captain to win a Test Series abroad. Under her leadership India won the test match in South Africa in 2002.
5. In her first outing as a captain, She recorded a 5-0 series whitewash over England.
6. She is first to play 6 World Cups for India (four ODI World Cups and two T20s)
7. She is the first woman cricketer from India to be awarded an honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
8. She is the first Indian female sportscaster and player to commentate on men’s cricket matches
9. In 2007 for her outstanding achievement in sports, the government of India awarded her the Arjuna Award. She also received the fourth highest civilian honour of India Padma Shri in 2014.
10. The Gate No. 3 and No. 4 of the Arun Jaitley stadium (Feroz Shah Kotla) in Delhi are named after Anjum Chopra.
Anjum brought fame and recognition to the Indian women’s team, broked numerous barriers and rised like a star. After retirement from the field she completed her MBA and established herself as a corporate and motivational speaker.
Happy birthday Anjum from Sportsnasha family. You struggled and you conquered Thank you for the memories .