SPORTSNASHA WEEKEND SPECIAL
* Some unknown records in cricket:
1 In 1977, against England Yajurvindra Singh of India wrote his name in the record books as he made the record of most catches by a debutant in history of Test cricket. He took seven catches on his Test debut at Bangalore. He caught five English batters in the first and two in the second innings.
2. In 1986, against India David Boon and Geoff Marsh became the first opening pair to post 200 plus in ODI cricket. They put on 212 runs for the first wicket. This was also the first time ODI cricket has seen both opener’s scoring centuries.
3. On 27 November 1978 the Sydney cricket ground (SCG) of Australia became the first venue to host a day-night ODI. The match was played between Australia and West Indies. West Indies won the game.
4. Sir Don Bradman is the only batsman to score 2 triple hundred in batting at different positions. His first triple hundred came in 1930 against England. He scored 334 in that innings and also became the first Australian ever to score a triple hundred. He batted at number 3 in that innings. In 1934, he scored his second triple hundred that too came against England. He scored 304 runs in that innings. He batted at number 5 in that Innings.
5.The highest individual Test score that ended with the batsman being run out was of Brian Lara. He scored 277 against Australia at SCG in 1992-93. This was also Lara’s first test century……Well the Prince of Trinidad alarmed his arrival in international cricket with a big one and that too against the likes of Craig McDermott, Merv Hughes, Greg Matthews and Shane Warne.
6. Sydney Barnes holds the record of most wickets in a test series. He took 49 wickets in just 4 test matches against South Africa in the 1913/14 Test series. He took five wickets or more seven times during that series and also got four consecutive five-wicket hauls.
7. Sonny Ramadhin holds the record of maximum number of overs bowled by a bowler in an innings of a test match. He bowled 98 overs(588 balls) against England in May 30-Jun 4, 1957 in second innings when England faced a total of 258 overs in their innings. The match ended in a draw.
8. Phil Simmons’ bowling figures of 10-8-3-4 is the most economical bowling in ODI by bowlers who completed their quota of overs. He bowled it against Pakistan in December 17, 1992.
9. On 3rd Sept 2013, Boyd Rankin playing for England dismissed Ed Joyce of Ireland. In the 2007 World Cup Rankin then playing for Ireland dismissed Joyce who was then playing for England.
10. Glenn McGrath has more international wickets than his international runs. The Australian pace bowler scored combined 756 runs in both ODI and Test cricket but, picked combined 944 wickets in ODI and Test cricket.
It was easier for pigeon to take a wicket than scoring a run !!
Excusive research by